1. “Financing Innovation: Evidence from R&D Grants.” 2017. The American Economic Review 107 (4).
2. "Investor Tax Credits and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from U.S. States." With Matthew Denes, Filippo Mezzanotti, Xinxin Wang, and Ting Xu. 2021. Conditionally accepted at The Journal of Finance.
3. “Reducing Information Frictions in Venture Capital: The Role of New Venture Competitions.” 2020.
The Journal of Financial Economics. 136 (3).
4. "When Investor Incentives and Consumer Interests Diverge: Private Equity in Higher Education." With Charlie Eaton and Constantine Yannelis. 2020. The Review of Financial Studies 33 (9).
Best Paper Prize at the 2018 UNC Private Equity Research Council Annual Symposium
5. "Initial Coin Offerings: Financing Growth with Cryptocurrency Token Sales." With Marina Niessner and David Yermack. 2020. The Review of Financial Studies 33 (9). Lead Article & Editor's Choice.
6. "IPO Intervention and Innovation: Evidence from China.” With Lin William Cong. 2021.
7. "Learning from Feedback: Evidence from New Ventures.” 2021. Review of Finance 25. Lead Article & Editor's Choice.
8. "Firm Type Variation in the Cost of Risk Management.” 2020. Journal of Corporate Finance 64.
9. “Joint Ventures and Technology Adoption: A Chinese Industrial Policy that Backfired.” 2018. Research Policy 47(8).
9. “Plugging Cars into the Grid: Why the Government Should Make a Choice.” With Minsk, Ronald E., Sam P. Ori. 2009. Energy Law Journal 30(2).
1. "The Color of Money: Federal vs. Industry Funding of University Research." With Tania Babina, Alex He, Elisabeth Perlman, and Joseph Staudt. 2022.
R&R at the Quarterly Journal of Economics.
NYU Stern Yuki Arai Faculty Award for Best Paper in Finance 2020
2. "Do Cash Windfalls Affect Wages? Evidence from R&D Grants to Small Firms." With J. David Brown. 2019.
R&R at the Review of Financial Studies.
3. "Local Journalism under Private Equity Ownership." With Michael Ewens and Arpit Gupta. 2022.
R&R at the Journal of Financial Economics.
4. "Entrepreneurial Spillovers from Corporate R&D." With Tania Babina. 2020.
R&R at the Journal of Labor Economics.
Honorable Mention, Yuki Arai Faculty Research Prize for Finance, 2018
5. "Networking Frictions in Venture Capital, and the Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship." With Ramana Nanda. 2019.
R&R at the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
Private Equity and Venture Capital Tuck School of Business Award at the 2020 MFA
6. "Automation in Small Business Lending Can Reduce Racial Disparities: Evidence from the Paycheck Protection Program." With Theresa Kuchler, David Snitkof, Johannes Stroebel, and Jun Wong. 2022.
7. "Opening up Military Innovation: Causal Effects of ‘Bottom-Up’ Reforms to U.S. Defense Research " With Jason Rathje, John Van Reenen and Jun Wong. 2021.
WRDS Award for Best Empirical Finance Paper at the WFA 2021
Video presentation at AFWERX Accelerate here.
8. “Do Employees Cheer for Private Equity? The Heterogeneous Effects of Buyouts on Job Quality.” With Gornall, Will, Oleg Gredil, Xing Liu, and Jason Sockin. 2021.
9. "Does Private Equity Investment in Healthcare Benefit Patients? Evidence from Nursing Homes." With Atul Gupta, Constantine Yannelis, and Abhinav Gupta. 2021.
Best Paper Prize in Finance and Health at the 2021 MFA
10. "How Resilient is Venture-Backed Innovation? Evidence from Four Decades of US Patenting." With Josh Lerner, Ramana Nanda, and Richard Townsend. 2020.
My research and teaching focus on entrepreneurial finance, innovation, fintech, private equity, and China.
I serve as an AE for the Review of Financial Studies, the Review of Corporate Finance Studies, and for the finance department at Management Science
Please click on the underlined titles below to view the papers.
NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
2. Howell, Sabrina, Lee, Henry, and Heal, Adam. 2014. “Leapfrogging or Stalling Out? Electric Vehicles in China.” Discussion Paper, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School.
3. Howell, Sabrina. 2013. “Pathways for Reducing Oil Consumption in the U.S.” Carbon War Room & Fuel Freedom Foundation Research Report.
4. Howell, Sabrina. 2009. “Jia You! (Add Oil!): Chinese Energy Security Strategy.” In Luft, Gal and Anne Korin, eds. Energy Security Challenges for the 21 Century. California: Praeger Publishing.
5. Smith, Anne E. and Sabrina Howell. 2009. “An Assessment of the Robustness of Visual Air Quality Preference Study Results.” Environmental Protection Agency Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (EPA CASAC) Particulate Matter Review, Public Comments, March 30.
NBER Faculty Research Fellow, IPC PERC Research Fellow
Sabrina T. Howell