My research and teaching focus on entrepreneurial finance, innovation, fintech, private equity, and China. In 2023 I was named a Poets & Quants Best 40 Under 40 MBA Professor. I am a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research, a Fellow at the Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research, and a Research Fellow at the Institute for Private Capital.
I serve as an Associate Editor for the Review of Financial Studies and the Review of Corporate Finance Studies.
Please click on the underlined titles below to view the papers.
NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. "Regulatory Arbitrage or Random Errors? Implications of Race Prediction Algorithms in Fair Lending Analysis." With Daniel Greenwald, Cangyuan Li, and Emmanuel Yimfor. 2023. R&R at The Journal of Financial Economics.
2. "Local Journalism under Private Equity Ownership." With Michael Ewens and Arpit Gupta. 2022. R&R at The Review of Financial Studies.
3. "All Clear for Takeoff: Evidence from Airports on the Effects of Infrastructure Privatization." With Yeejin Jang, Hyeik Kim, and Michael S. Weisbach. 2022.
4. "Opening up Military Innovation: Causal Effects of ‘Bottom-Up’ Reforms to U.S. Defense Research " With Jason Rathje, John Van Reenen and Jun Wong. 2022.
WRDS Award for Best Empirical Finance Paper at the WFA 2021
Video presentation at AFWERX Accelerate here.
5. "After the Storm: How Emergency Liquidity Helps Small Businesses Following Natural Disasters." With Benjamin Collier and Lea Rendell." 2023.
1. "Cutting the Innovation Engine: How Federal Funding Shocks Affect University Patenting, Entrepreneurship, and Publications." With Tania Babina, Alex He, Elisabeth Perlman, and Joseph Staudt. 2023. The Quarterly Journal of Economics.
NYU Stern Yuki Arai Faculty Award for Best Paper in Finance 2021.
2. "Investor Tax Credits and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from U.S. States." With Matthew Denes, Filippo Mezzanotti, Xinxin Wang, and Ting Xu. 2023. The Journal of Finance.
3. “Do Employees Cheer for Private Equity? The Heterogeneous Effects of Buyouts on Job Quality.” With Will Gornall, Oleg Gredil, Xing Liu, and Jason Sockin. 2022. Conditionally accepted at Management Science.
5. "Does Private Equity Investment in Healthcare Benefit Patients? Evidence from Nursing Homes." With Atul Gupta, Constantine Yannelis, and Abhinav Gupta. 2022. Forthcoming at The Review of Financial Studies.
Best Paper Prize in Finance and Health at the 2021 MFA
6. "Do Cash Windfalls Affect Wages? Evidence from R&D Grants to Small Firms." With J. David Brown. 2023. The Review of Financial Studies 36(5).
8. "Networking Frictions in Venture Capital, and the Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship." With Ramana Nanda. 2022. Forthcoming at the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
Private Equity and Venture Capital Tuck School of Business Award at the 2020 MFA
9. “Reducing Information Frictions in Venture Capital: The Role of New Venture Competitions.” 2020.
The Journal of Financial Economics. 136 (3).
10. "When Investor Incentives and Consumer Interests Diverge: Private Equity in Higher Education." With Charlie Eaton and Constantine Yannelis. 2020. The Review of Financial Studies 33 (9).
Best Paper Prize at the 2018 UNC Private Equity Research Council Annual Symposium
11. "Initial Coin Offerings: Financing Growth with Cryptocurrency Token Sales." With Marina Niessner and David Yermack. 2020. The Review of Financial Studies 33 (9). Lead Article & Editor's Choice.
12. "IPO Intervention and Innovation: Evidence from China.” With Lin William Cong. 2021.
Management Science Best Paper Prize in Finance (among all papers published 2020-2022)
13. "Learning from Feedback: Evidence from New Ventures.” 2021. Review of Finance 25. Lead Article & Editor's Choice.
14. "Firm Type Variation in the Cost of Risk Management.” 2020. The Journal of Corporate Finance 64.
15. “Joint Ventures and Technology Adoption: A Chinese Industrial Policy that Backfired.” 2018. Research Policy 47(8).
16. “Financing Innovation: Evidence from R&D Grants.” 2017. The American Economic Review 107 (4).
17. “Plugging Cars into the Grid: Why the Government Should Make a Choice.” With Minsk, Ronald E., Sam P. Ori. 2009. Energy Law Journal 30(2).
Sabrina T. Howell
1. The role of private equity in the U.S. economy, and whether and how favorable tax policies for the sector need to be reformed. With Arpit Gupta. The Washington Center for Equitable Growth. 2023.
2. Private Equity in Healthcare. With Tong Liu. In: Cumming, D., Hammer, B. (eds) The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Private Equity. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. 2023
3. "Mechanisms and Impacts of Innovation Policy." NBER Reporter. December, 2022.
4. "How Resilient is Venture-Backed Innovation? Evidence from Four Decades of US Patenting." With Josh Lerner, Ramana Nanda, and Richard Townsend. 2021.
5. "Analysis of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy and Fossil Energy SBIR Programs." U.S. Department of Energy Report. Press release here. 2019.
6. “Leapfrogging or Stalling Out? Electric Vehicles in China.” With Henry Lee and Adam Heal. Discussion Paper, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School. 2014.
7. “Pathways for Reducing Oil Consumption in the U.S.” Carbon War Room & Fuel Freedom Foundation Research Report. 2013.
8. “Jia You! (Add Oil!): Chinese Energy Security Strategy.” In Luft, Gal and Anne Korin, eds. Energy Security Challenges for the 21 Century. California: Praeger Publishing. 2009.
9. “An Assessment of the Robustness of Visual Air Quality Preference Study Results.” With Anne E. Smith. Environmental Protection Agency Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (EPA CASAC) Particulate Matter Review, Public Comments, March 30. 2009.