With Marina Niessner and David Yermack. .
Forthcoming at The Review of Financial Studies.
5. “Joint Ventures and Technology Adoption: A Chinese Industrial Policy that Backfired.” Research Policy 47(8), 2018.
6. “Plugging Cars into the Grid: Why the Government Should Make a Choice.” With Minsk, Ronald E., Sam P. Ori. Energy Law Journal 30(2), 2009.
NYU Stern School of Business
Sabrina T. Howell
NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
I am an Assistant Professor of Finance at NYU's Stern School of Business, and a Faculty Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). My research and teaching focus on entrepreneurial finance, innovation, fintech, energy, and China.
Please click on the underlined titles below to view the papers.
2. “Reducing Information Frictions in Venture Capital: The Role of New Venture Competitions.”
The Journal of Financial Economics 136 (3) 2020, 676-694.
Forthcoming at The Review of Financial Studies.
Best Paper Prize at the 2018 UNC Private Equity Research Council Annual Symposium
Testimonials of policy impact:
U.S. Department of Energy. 2019. "Benefits of EERE Small Business Innovation Grants Confirmed in New Study." May 3.
Council on Foreign Relations. 2015. "Keeping the Edge: U.S. Innovation." Report.
Smith, Noah. 2015. "Angel Investing, Government Style." Bloomberg. July 9.
Pethokoukis, James. 2015. "Uncle Sam, angel investor?" AEIdeas, July 15.
Davis, Lucas. 2015. "How Should We Design Government Policies to Stimulate Innovation?" Haas Energy Institute. March 23.
Gill, Dee. 2015. "Small, Early Stage R&D Grants to Energy Startups have Large Impact." Chicago Booth Daily Data. February 2.
Howell, Sabrina. 2014. "The Impact of Government Grants in the Clean Energy Sector." Cleantech Group. January 9.
Cumming, Chris. 2019. Warren Probes Apollo and KKR on Backing For-Profit Colleges. The Wall Street Journal.
Scigliuzzo, Davide. 2019. Everything is Private Equity Now. Bloomberg Businessweek.
Senator Elizabeth Warren letter requesting information from six private equity firms about their investments in for-profit education. (Summary on Warren website here.) 2019.
Berman, Jillian. 2018. "When private equity firms buy colleges, students often pay more."
Segal, Julie. 2018. "When Private Equity Wins and Consumers Lose." The Institutional Investor.
1. Howell, Sabrina. 2019. "Analysis of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy and Fossil Energy SBIR Programs." U.S. Department of Energy Report. Press release here.
2. Howell, Sabrina, Lee, Henry, and Heal, Adam. 2014. “Leapfrogging or Stalling Out? Electric Vehicles in China.” Discussion Paper, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School.
3. Howell, Sabrina. 2013. “Pathways for Reducing Oil Consumption in the U.S.” Carbon War Room & Fuel Freedom Foundation Research Report.
4. Howell, Sabrina. 2009. “Jia You! (Add Oil!): Chinese Energy Security Strategy.” In Luft, Gal and Anne Korin, eds. Energy Security Challenges for the 21 Century. California: Praeger Publishing.
5. Smith, Anne E. and Sabrina Howell. 2009. “An Assessment of the Robustness of Visual Air Quality Preference Study Results.” Environmental Protection Agency Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (EPA CASAC) Particulate Matter Review, Public Comments, March 30.
Featured in Whyte, Amy. "Early-Stage VC Is ‘Highly’ Sensitive to Downturns — Including This One." Institutional Investor, May 2020.
Featured in lead article of NBER Digest, March 2020
3. "Does Private Equity Investment in Healthcare Benefit Patients? Evidence from Nursing Homes." With Atul Gupta, Constantine Yannelis, and Abhinav Gupta. 2020.
Chaffin, Joshua. 2020. "For-profit US care homes ‘decimated’ by coronavirus." The Financial Times. May 6.
Laise, Eleanor. 2020. "Private-equity takeover of nursing homes has reduced quality of care at critical moment, research suggests." MarketWatch. March 14.
4. "Does Funding Source Matter for University R&D? The Effect of Government vs. Industry Grants." With Tania Babina, Alex He, Elisabeth Perlman, and Joseph Staudt. 2020.
Watch presentation video from virtual Finance in the Cloud conference, Apr 10 2020
6. "IPO Intervention and Innovation: Evidence from China.” With Lin William Cong. 2020.
R&R at Management Science.
Verkhivker, Alex. 2018. "How delaying IPOs has a big and lasting effect." Chicago Booth Review.
VoxChina, May 2020.
Honorable Mention, Yuki Arai Faculty Research Prize for Finance, 2018
Brookings Hutchins Roundup Dec 20, 2018.
Brin, Dina. 2018. "Corporate R&D Investment Appears To Spur Employees To Startup Venture Path." Forbes, Dec 30.
Arends, Brett. 2019. "The No. 1 reason why big, innovative companies suffer a ‘brain drain’". MarketWatch, Jan 14.
Winner of the Private Equity and Venture Capital Tuck School of Business award at the MFA 2020 conference
Featured in VoxEU CEPR, February 29, 2020
10. "Firm Type Variation in the Cost of Risk Management.” 2020.
R&R at the Journal of Corporate Finance.